The Intercultural Project between Canada and Morocco will provide an opportunity for dialogue and exchanges between musicians from both countries, as well as with the public.
Toronto (Ontario), June 13, 2018 – After a successful first Intercultural Project in Morocco in October 2017, Marchande d’idées is pleased to announce—in partnership with the Festival des traditions du monde de Sherbrooke (FTMS)—a new edition of her on-going project, which will take place in Sherbrooke from August 10-12, 2018. This partnership will allow for a musical residence and exchange between Daraa Tribes from the Drâa River Valley in Morocco and Red Tail Spirit from Canada.
This will be the second time that the FTMS will offer a musical residency as part of its programming, having hosted several Moroccan artists in 2010 as part of an exchange with the Festival Gnaoua and World Music of Essaouira.
During three days, Daraa Tribes and Red Tail Spirit will draw on their own experiences and cultures to create a musical piece to be presented on the last day of the Festival. Festival-goers will witness a real mix of culture through music and workshops offered by each group.
This will be a first trip to Canada for Daraa Tribes whose members represent five different tribes: Gnawa, Saharoua, Amazigh, Regaga and Lkaaba.
For the occasion, Red Tail Spirit will welcome, in their drumming circle, two Atikamekw musicians from Wemotaci in northern Québec, pianist Simon Denizart, as well as indigenous dancers.
This year—in addition to the collaboration—Marchande d’idées is offering the guest group Daraa Tribes exceptional opportunities to share their culture and musical heritage in Canada’s two largest cities, Montréal and Toronto.
These two events—a show at legendary Club Balattou on August 15th at 9pm, birthplace of the International Festival Nuits d’Afrique, and another one at the 17th Annual Small World Music Festival, on August 17th at 8pm—will allow people to discover an eclectic musical sound fusing the ancient tribal music of southern Morocco and desert blues.
“We are very happy to participate in this type of collaborative program. This will be our first trip to Canada and we are proud to be able to represent our culture and share the diversity and peace of different tribes of the Drâa Valley in Morocco.”
– Mustapha Aqermim, Daraa Tribes
“We cannot wait to welcome Daraa Tribes to Turtle Island. Just like Red Tail Spirit, Daraa Tribes is composed of musicians from different nations, and it will be fascinating to see how, together, we will create a few (musical) pieces. To achieve this, we will favor the exchange process. To understand the roots of their style, to explore their traditions, to expose ours while integrating our personal identities as well as our musical signature, that is the formula that we privilege”.
– Wishe, Red Tail Spirit
- The project between Canada and Morocco will take place in Sherbrooke from
August 10-12, 2018.
- To the delight of festival-goers, a musical piece resulting from this unprecedented collaboration will be presented on Sunday, August 12 at 5:30 p.m.
- Daraa Tribes is a tribal fusion and saharan blues band from the oasis town of Tagounite in southern Morocco. They fuse their respective traditional tribal sounds with modern instruments to create their own musical style.
- Red Tail Spirit is an Indigenous drum group from Canada. The group has performed in several locations including Trinidad and Tobago, France and the Sahara Desert in Morocco in 2017. The group is often called to perform in special events.
- The Festival des traditions du monde de Sherbrooke will hold its 21st edition from
August 8 to 12, 2018 at Parc Quintal. The FTMS offers a journey across all continents in music, dance, gastronomy, crafts, and more.
- Marchande d’idées interculturelles aims to develop intercultural exchanges between different communities in order to raise public awareness of their benefits, foster dialogue
and create sustainable partnerships.
- Festival des traditions du monde de Sherbrooke
- Marchande d’idées interculturelles
- Biographies – Red Tail Spirit
- Biographies – Daraa Tribes
- Un pow-wow au Sahara (La Presse)
For more information, please contact:
Nathalie Lévesque, President and Founder
Marchande d’idées interculturelles inc.
Follow Marchandes d’idées interculturelles on social media: