- Concert Review – The Small World Music Festival – Day 1 (Friday), Roots Music Canada, 23 August 2018
The opening performance on Friday met with a dismal welcome as a torrent of rain and flooding flashed down from the sky, forcing the show, featuring MacCrimmon and her ensemble, indoors to the nearby Brigantine Room. But by the time that Morocco’s Daraa Tribes were able to take the outdoor stage, things had been sufficiently squeegeed to allow an enthusiastic crowd of families, date-night duos and folks of every description to dance, wiggle, and gaze into their recording devices as electric Saharan grooves radiated up, out, and across the waters.
After much swirling of robes and stratocasting, the band welcomed the RedTail Spirit Singers and Sacred Wolf Singers, who had preceded them on the bill, back to the stage. Reciprocating the journey that the Kanesatake-based Mohawk band had made to Marrakech last October, Toronto hosted a tightly arranged an exciting intertribal collaboration, with the two groups switching off on a single pulse between the lightning of the desert and the thunder of the woodlands, with all inherent traditional specificities intact.
Not many could have held the stage after such a bombast, but Vieux Farka Toure’s trio was fully up to the job, rocking the night away with the same phased finger-style guitar attack with which he first conquered the fest ten years ago at The Mod Club.
- Newsletter, Small World Music Festival, August 2018
Watching the rain come down in sheets at the lakeside early Friday evening on the opening night of the Small World Festival was a bracing experience… hard to know what to expect. Thankfully, as the storms passed, the music started and the hardcore music fans arrived for an evening of heavy African desert grooves, courtesy of Daraa Tribes and Vieux Farka Touré. Broadcast live by our media partners at CIUT, it set a hopeful tone for what proved to be an awesome weekend!
Daraa Tribes’ interview (French only ) at CHOQ-FM – Toronto, 17 august 2018
- Un tour du monde réussi, La Tribune, 15 August 2018
« Cette fusion créative issue de notre résidence artistique est possiblement une première au Québec et ça représente exactement les valeurs de notre événement. Offrir un spectacle si unique alors que les artistes ne se connaissaient même pas initialement me motive à en faire encore plus à l’avenir » , lance Malika Bajjaje.
- Sherbrooke’s Festival des traditions had record attendance this year (jpg), Sherbrooke Record, 14 August 2018
For the first time, FTMS also hosted a Canada-Morocco musical residency, a project propelled by Marchande d’idées interculturelles (Intercultural Ideas Merchant) that clearly reflected the collaboration between the two Red Tail Spirit aboriginal groups of Canada and Daraa Tribes of Morocco and was a real success. Festival-goers were able to appreciate the fruit of their collaboration during the closing show.
- Entrevue en direct sur Facebook, M FM Radio Montreal, 14 août 2018
- Achalandage record pour le Festival des traditions du monde, EstriePlus.com, 13 August 2018
- Interview (podcast, French only) CFAK 88.3 FM, 10 August 2018
- Daraa Tribes à la conquête du Canada. Atlas.Mtl, 12 july 2018
- Le groupe Marocain “Daraa Tribes” en tournée au Canada. Maghreb Canada Express, page 14, July 2018 (PDF)
- Sherbrooke: vibrera aux rythmes du Sahara et des tambours autochtones cet été. HibaPress, 8 July 2018
- Small World Music Festival – The Beat of the Globe in the Heart of Toronto. Small World Music, 1 July 2018 (PDF)
- Festival des traditions du monde de Sherbrooke. Les rythmes du Sahara et les tambours autocthones. Atlas Mtl, 28 June 2018
- Le 21e Festival des traditions du monde de Sherbrooke dévoile sa programmation. Lien multimédia, 16 June 2018
- Small World Music Festival, 17th Annual. TheWholeNote
- Release the Sounds! Summertime’s Musical Liberation. TheWholeNote, 31 May 2018